May 24, 2012

Ciwe Furs - ...of Green Echoes (1995 unknown DIY indie psych folk cassette)





I was originally going to post one of the tracks from this cassette along with many more like it in a new compilation mix tape, but seeing as how at the moment I only have about half the tracks I need and a lot of digging to go, I will just give this tape as a teaser to what the comp will be once I finish it.  BAsically I have a bunch of 80s/90s DIY indie rock freak folk kinda cassettes that all are utterly obscure, often private bedroom recordings, and all ungoogle-able. I'm looking for that kind of reverb washed sound, acoustic or electric, earnest vocals, experimental elements are a plus and just generally depressed college outsider aesthetics. It's actually been quite difficult to amass a collection of such tapes (that are worth listening to, an important caveat) and I am considering throwing in some early 2000s works and maybe even a few 7" vinyl releases as well since not all of said genre works were cassette based..  As far as I know there isn't really a market yet for such things, so I will try to create one. This particular tape was recorded in San Angelo, Texas circa 1995. Presumably these are Angelo State students.  The band is Ciwe Furs, a reference I do not get, and they play an assortment of instruments, with reverb laden shoegaze aesthetics sometimes, freak folk weirdness, occasional bongos are thrown in even, good ethereal girl vocals at times, pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.  Yes, there is a reason they never made it big, but thats kinda the point right? Not every track is golden, and I'm not sure which is my favorite at the moment, don't be dissuaded by the bad titles either, they rarely have any bearing on the meaning of the song. Enjoy.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Really interesting tape, surprisingly strong and variable psych stuff.

DJ Frederick said...

Would you be able to repost a link to these sound files? I would be grateful.

Unknown said...

I own a copy of The Farm Recording's MOO. The Ciwe Furs arranged the album and made the first song on there, Not That. I can record the song, if that interests you.